Bayan Abu Shawar received her PhD in Computer Science-Natural Language Processing from the School of Computing at University of Leeds in UK. Currently she is an Associate Professor in Cybersecurity Department at Al-Ain University- AbuDhabi. Her research interests are: Chatbots, Natural Language Processing, Information Retrieval, Question Answering Systems, Artificial Intelligent, and e-Learning.
PhD from the School of Computing at University of Leeds-UK - 2005
MSc. Computer Science, University of Jordan with rate Excellent 3.37/4.
BSc. Computer Science, University of Jordan with rate Very Good.
- Natural language processing
- Human-Computer interaction
- Software engineering
- Information retrieval
- Question Answering Systems
- Artificial Intelligent
- Machine Learning
- e-Learning, LMS, CMS, m-Learning
- Amro A., Al-Akhras, M., El Hindi, K., Habib, M., Abu Shawar, B. 2021. Instance Reduction for Avoiding Overfitting in Decision Trees. Journal of Intelligent Systems, 30(1), pp. 438-459.
- El Hindi k., Abu Shawar, B. , Aljulaidan, R., Alsalamn, H. 2020. Improved Distance Functions for Instance-Based Text Classification. Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience. Volume 2020.
- Abu Shawar, b. 2017. Integrating CALL Systems with Chatbots as Conversational Partners. Journal of Computacion Systemas. Volume 21, issue 4, pp. 615-626.
- Abu Shawar, B., and Atwell, E. 2016. Usefulness, Localizability, Humanness, and Language-benefit: additional evaluation criteria for Natural Language Dialogue systems. International Journal of Speech Technology, Springer. Volume 19, Issue 2, pp 373-383.
- Abu Shawar, B., Atwell, E., 2015. ALICE Chatbot: Trials and Outputs. Journal of Computacion Systemas. Volume 19, issue 4, pp. 625-632.
- Abu Shawar, B. 2015. Evaluating Web Accessibility of Educational Website. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Education (iJET). Volume 10, issue 4, Pp. 4-10.
- Abu Shawar, B. 2017.Neither Completely M- Nor E- Learning: Integrating both is the Solution. Pp Proceeding of International Conference on Cloud and Big Data Computing (ICCBDC 2017). ACM, pp. 112-118.
- Abu Shawar, B., and Atwell, E. 2016. Automatic Extraction of Chatbot Training Data from Natural Dialogue Corpora. In Proceedings of RE-WOCHAT: Workshop on Collecting and Generating Resources for Chatbots and Conversational Agents - Development and Evaluation @ LREC 2016, pp. 29-38.
- 2019-now: Associate Professor in Faculty of Engineering- Cybersecurity Department at Al-Ain University-Abu Dhabi branch, teaching different modules in Computer Science.
- 2012 - 2019:Associate Professor in IT department at Arab Open University in Jordan., teaching different IT modules such as: Software Engineering, Software Development, Applied Network Security which includes several encryption, decryption algorithms, Security, Ethics and Privacy in IT and Computing, Data Structure and Algorithm using Python, Object Oriented Programming using Java, C#, C++, etc. I addition to teaching I am preparing exams, questions banks, calendars, online tutorials, and recorded ones.
- 2015 - 2017:Head of IT department (Program Coordinator) at Arab Open University in Jordan branch.
- 2005 - 2012: Assistant Professor in the Arab Open University in Jordan, teaching modules such as discrete math, linear algebra, data structure and algorithm in python, Java, operating system, UML modelling and C++, Software engineering. This university applies open learning methodology, so in addition to face to face tutoring, it uses e-learning technology. We are using MOODLE as an LMS platform, where I can author courses with all its necessary assignment, online quizzes, etc.
- 2004 - 2005: Associate Lecturer in the Open University (UK), teaching module number 150 which is for beginners and covering different topics in computer and programming.
- 2002 - 2005: Postgraduate Demonstrator demonstrating, marking and giving tutorials in Object Oriented Programming in Java, Data Structures, Mathematics and Algorithms. School of Computing, University of Leeds
- 1998 - 2002: Lecturer in Computer Department at University of Jordan. I taught different
- programming languages such as: Assembly, Pascal, C, C++, and Visual Basic. Other courses included: Theory of Computation, Operation Research, and Microsoft Office.
- Computer Security Fundamentals, Risk Asessment and Management, Cybersecurity Laws and Policies
- User Interface Design, Object Oriented Analysis and Design
- Object Oriented Programming with Java, Advanced Java, C++, C#, Intorduction to programming with Java
- Sofware Engineering, Software Development, distributed Operating System, Data Structure and Algorithm using Python,
- Operational Research, Databse Systems.
- Linear ALgebra, Descre Mathmatics, Probability
- Computer Organisation, Computer Skills, Reserach Methodology, Theory of Computation
Member of the editorial board committee of International Arab Journal of e-Technology